Monday, October 31, 2011

Conversations in Exile-Gorbanevskaya


Glad, John Ed. Conversations in Exile. Translated by Richard and Joanna Robin. North Carolina: Duke University Press, 1993.

NG
'88

"'Latent schizophrenia'"-223

"not ruled" out- meant she had it

"In 1969 I think all of Moscow knew that I was publishing the Chronicle. The only question was when I would be arrested. Since I knew I would be arrested, all I had to do was find a successor. But that turned out to be more difficult than I imagined. One idea was to hand it over to Galya Gabai, but her apartment was constantly being searched. Once she took some material for the Chronicle home, and her mother was forced to throw it into a pot of soup to keep it out of the hands of the KGB. That was in 1969. After that Galya said she wouldn't be able to take over for me. I started work on it again, and after a while I was arrested." (G, 226)

"I was arrested on Wednesday, December 24, 1969. I had found someone who was thinking over the Chronicle, and he was supposed to come over that night to see how the publication was put together. Material for the eleventh edition, which was supposed to come out in a week, was in my desk. That day my apartment was searched. In the pocket of my winter coat I had notes on a hunger strike in the camps from an interview with the wife of a political prisoner. So much material was found during the search that they stopped filling out that statement, stuffed the rest of the papers into a folder, sealed it, and said that the statement would be completed in my presence and said that the statement would be completed in my presence and in the presence of other witnesses. That never happened, and I had the impression that the envelope never left my desk. Furthermore, I put on a jacket instead of my winter coat and indicated with my eyes that the coat, which had not been searched, should be taken care of.  All that material was left in the apartment and wound up in the hands of those who continued to publish the Chronicle after I was arrested. the eleventh edition came out on time with a lead article about my arrest. I never learned what happened to the envelope, whether it was left untouched or if it had just seemed that way to me. The material had been collected by all sorts of people, all with different handwriting. If it had fallen into the hands of the KGB, it would have provided evidence against many people." (G, 227)

didn't need many copies for radio-228

"I would get seven copies on fairly thin paper. Later we started getting twenty copies on very thing paper, although the last couple of copies were almost completely illegible. Each of these was then retyped several times in Moscow and other cities. When things got more repressive, copying became more difficult. But even so, we would get out several hundred copies of each issue.

Another method was to photograph the pages and print them on photo paper. We got more copies that way, but they came out very thick. All the same, it was a popular, if expensive method. It was hard to find the proper film and paper. After prison I used to buy photo paper in Leningrad, where it was easier to get, and bring it to Moscow." (G, 228)


No comments:

Post a Comment